Histories

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next»     » Slide Show

Trygve Ronneberg worked on this project

Reprinted from
Architectural Resources Group, Inc
Architects, Planners and Conservators

Copra Warehouse, 740 Heinz Avenue, Berkeley, California
Draft Historical Resources Evaluation, February 6, 2009
Page 6

Reprinted from
Architectural Resources Group, Inc
Architects, Planners and Conservators

Copra Warehouse, 740 Heinz Avenue, Berkeley, California
Draft Historical Resources Evaluation, February 6, 2009
Page 6


Historical Background
The Copra Warehouse was built in 1916 for Stauffer Oil Company by contractors Paulson & Marini as part of a plant that, when it opened, was known as the Vegetable Oil Company. Other structures associated with this original plant no longer remain. The plant expanded considerably in 1929, when Durkee Famous Foods took ownership of the site. In that year, Trygve Ronneberg, a structural engineer who had previously worked in Willis Polk’s office, oversaw alteration of the Copra Warehouse, construction of the Durkee Building at 800 Heinz Avenue, and expansion of other buildings on-site. While permits do not specify what was done to the Copra Warehouse, the monitor roof and 54-foot building height first appear on Sanborn maps following the 1929 alteration, while the building footprint remains unchanged from earlier maps, implying addition of a second story. While the concrete ornament on the Heinz Avenue parapet of the Copra Warehouse is clearly related to the 1929 Durkee Building, the division between the original 1916 building and the 1929 addition is not easily discernible on the exterior.

Owner/SourceArchitectural Resources Group, Inc
Date6 Feb 2009
PlaceBerkeley, CA
Linked toRønneberg, Trygve

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next»     » Slide Show




Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources